What Can I Do if Unum Group Denies My Disability Claim?
If Unum Group has denied your insurance claim, Donahue & Horrow is ready to fight for you. We’re a Los Angeles-based law firm that has won against Unum Group, an organization that is notorious for treating policyholders unfairly by denying their long-term disability insurance, life insurance, or long-term care claims.
Our primary focus has been and will always remain our clients. We understand it can be daunting staring down such a large organization, but we have the experience and track record of keeping insurance giants like Unum Group honest and convincing them to pay policyholders what’s rightfully theirs.
Call us today at 877-664-5407 if you believe Unum Group has treated you unfairly or unethically by wrongfully denying your insurance claim.
Unum Group Tactics In Denial of Disability Insurance Claims
When companies reach the size of Unum Group, they often lose sight of their customers and focus more on keeping shareholders happy and revenues and net income healthy.
Unum Group and other large insurance organizations are notorious for following a similar playbook to deny or delay paying out disability and other insurance benefits by:
- Issuing payouts that are less than what the policyholders were entitled.
- Using Insufficient reviews of disability claims appeals.
- Referring to biased physicians to support bogus claim denials.
- Ignoring the opinions of your primary care physician and specialists who support your claim.
- Arbitrary paying certain military beneficiaries and not paying out others.
Unum Group and other insurance companies often try to “wear down” policyholders like you in the hope that you will give up rather than fight for your benefits. If Unum Group has tried one or more of these tactics on you, the company may be trying to fraudulently deny your insurance claim by:
- Making burdensome requests by requesting repeated documentation, duplicating the documentation you’ve already submitted.
- Downplaying medical evidence—including objective and subjective data—to discredit your disability or your insurance benefits entitlement.
- Refusing to accept your doctor’s opinion that you’re disabled and unable to return to work.
- Requesting so-called “independent” medical reviews by unqualified physicians or individuals to assess your medical condition.
- Repeatedly delaying a decision regarding your insurance claim.
Unum Group Won’t Wait to Deny Insurance Claims. Don’t Wait to Fight Back!
If Unum Group or one of its subsidiaries has denied your insurance claim, don’t wait to take action. All insurance claims have deadlines that must be met if you’re to have any hope of collecting the insurance benefits you’re owed. This is especially true if your claim is governed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). Call us today at (877) 664-5407. Our legal team will treat you with the dignity you deserve while fighting relentlessly to secure the insurance benefits that are rightfully yours.
Real Examples of Unum Group Denying Claims
Unum Group has a long history of insurance claim denial. The first class-action lawsuit filed by policyholders against the company happened in 2002, and in 2003, the organization’s former CEO Harold Chandler was forced to resign over the company’s claims policies, which employees indicated were done to help the business reduce costs.
In 2005, California insurance regulators fined Unum $8 million and demanded that the company change its state policies to include greater consumer protections. The mandate also required Unum to reopen as many as 26,000 California disability cases for review. California insurance regulators also charged Unum with more than 25 violations of state law.
Some particularly damning quotes from the Los Angeles Times and California Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi read like a textbook case for how large insurance companies employe deny-and-delay tactics against honest policyholders like yourself:
- LA Times: “…the company knowingly applied the wrong legal definition of disability in denying claims or ruling claimants were able to go back to work, targeted high-cost claims for denials to save the firm money, misused claimants’ medical records and even the opinions of in-house medical personnel to deny benefits and wrongly sought to file cases under a federal benefits law that severely limits claimants’ ability to successfully sue their insurers.”
- John Garamendi: “UnumProvident is an outlaw company. It is a company that for years has operated in an illegal fashion.”
Unum Group’s controversial and illegal business practices didn’t end in California. In 2008, Unum paid a $676 million settlement after an extensive examination of the company’s handling of disability claims by insurance regulators across the country.
About Unum Group – A Fortune 500 Organization
Unum Group is a global insurance provider of disability and life insurance products, including individual disability policies, group short-term disability policies, group long-term disability policies, long-term care insurance policies, and life insurance policies. The company’s portfolio also includes life, accident/AD&D, long-term care, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance products.
Over the years, the Unum Group has purchased or merged with numerous other insurance companies, helping the company’s annual revenues increase from $10.7 billion in 2015 to nearly $12 billion in 2019. Consequently, Unum Group’s growth has resulted in complications for insurance claimants such as yourself. If you previously purchased policies from Provident Insurance Company, UnumProvident Insurance Company, The Paul Revere Life Insurance Company, or Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company, you may receive denial letters from these entities, but really, it was Unum that denied your claim.
How We Can Help
If Unum Group has denied your insurance claims and you need help reviewing Unum Group’s improper claims tactics, Donahue & Horrow is here for you. We’re based in Los Angeles and routinely handle cases throughout California against insurance giants such as Unum Group. Whether by phone at 877-664-5407 or face-to-face, we’re ready to discuss your claim.
If you have questions call Donahue & Horrow today. Insurance policies are written by lawyers, and our law firm can interpret the terms of your policy. We will help decipher your Unum Group insurance policy, whether it’s a long-term disability insurance policy, short-term disability insurance policy, health insurance policy, life insurance policy, accidental death, and dismemberment policy, or a long-term care insurance policy. Call today for a free consultation: (877) 664-5407.