When Your Disability Insurance Company Plays Unfair California Law May Protect Your Rights
Disability claim denied? We can help you file an appeal.
Long Beach Denied Disability Claims Attorneys
In this day and age, it is more likely that your initial application for disability benefits will be denied before they are approved. This denial, though, should not be taken as a final decision. There is an entire process designed to allow individuals to appeal the denial and work toward receiving their full and fair benefits. An experienced attorney can guide you through the process and answer your questions along the way.
Subsection 790.03(h) of the California Insurance Code is called the Insurance Unfair Practices Act. This act defines a number of actions that are considered unfair practices by insurance companies. If an insurer violates these minimum standards of care, the insurance company may have committed insurance bad faith. Here are a few of the provisions the law provides to protect you against unfair practices of insurance companies:
- Misrepresenting to claimants pertinent facts or insurance policy provisions relating to any overages at issue.
- Failing to acknowledge and act reasonably promptly upon communications with respect to claims arising under insurance policies.
- Failing to adopt and implement reasonable standards for the prompt investigation and processing of claims arising under insurance policies.
- Failing to affirm or deny coverage of claims within a reasonable time after proof of loss requirements have been completed and submitted by the insured.
- Not attempting in good faith to effectuate prompt, fair and equitable settlements of claims in which liability has become reasonably clear.
- Attempting to settle claims on the basis of an application which was altered without notice to, or knowledge or consent of, the insured, his or representative, agent or broker.
- Failing to settle claims promptly, where liability has become apparent, under one portion of the insurance policy coverage in order to influence settlements under other portions of the insurance policy coverage.
- Directly advising a claimant not to obtain the services of an attorney.
- Misleading a claimant as to the applicable statute of limitations.
Get Your Free Consultation With a Trusted Long Beach Disability Claims Appeals Attorney Today
The Long Beach denied disability claims lawyers at Donahue & Horrow LLP, have more than five decades of combined experience helping injured individuals receive benefits. Our clients trust our thorough understanding of the law to guide them through the process as quickly and efficiently as is possible in their situation. Allow us to examine your dilemma through a free consultation when we can give you advice on how best to proceed.
Our attorneys can help people in the Long Beach area and throughout California who have been denied insurance benefits for disabilities of all types, including:
- Back and neck injuries
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
No matter what your disability, and no matter what reason the insurance company gave you for the denial, it is important to contact a skilled attorney. It might be possible to receive your full benefits after going through an appeals process that is specifically set up for situations such as this. Whether you are in Long Beach, Los Angeles or anywhere in Southern California, schedule a free consultation with our firm.
All cases are taken on a contingency basis, which means you pay nothing and we receive nothing unless you win your case by way of settlement or verdict. Call us toll free at 877-664-5407 or e-mail us to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.