Butte Fire Insurance Coverage, Temporary Living Expenses

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 11, 2015

Living expense reimbursement may help victims of Butte fire recover

AMADOR COUNTY, Calif. – Residents affected by evacuation orders in Amador and Calaveras Counties may be eligible for reimbursement for additional living expenses through their homeowner and renter insurance policies.

As the Department of Insurance continues to monitor evacuations, homeowners should review their policies to see if they have coverage for additional living expenses associated with evacuation and recovery including housing and food costs. Evacuees should consult with their insurance agent to learn more about coverage and if they have additional questions, should call the department’s consumer hotline at 800-927-HELP (4357).

“Even a temporary displacement due to disaster can create financial and emotional hardships,” said Commissioner Jones. “Homeowners should know their insurance policy may cover additional living expenses associated with mandatory evacuation and recovery and should contact their insurer for assistance.”

Many homeowner insurance policies cover additional living expenses during natural disasters. This covers living expenses for homeowners incurred as a result of damage caused by fire or mandatory evacuation, allowing consumers to focus their attention on recovery. The coverage typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses. Policy provisions, including deductibles, vary by company. Consumers should check with their insurer regarding any limitations that may apply to the coverage.

More Information for Wildfire Evacuees:

  • Don’t forget to take copies of insurance policies, important papers and a photo or video inventory of your possessions. An inventory can be completed quickly and easily on your smart phone and safely stored in the Cloud.
  • Find quick and easy tips to prepare your home to help keep your home from becoming fuel for a wildfire.

Additional tips and information for consumers about what to do before, during, and aftera wildfire are available from the California Department of Insurance. Download a free home inventory guide from the department Web site at https://www.insurance.ca.gov, or receive a hardcopy by calling the California Department of Insurance Consumer Hotline at 800-927-HELP (4357).